Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Spring Is Coming!

Spring is coming! Spring is coming!

I know this-- not because of the several feet of snow still melting in my yard...or the still twenty degree temperatures in the morning...or the snow that may still insist on falling. I know this because...

1. My husband cleared the snow off our deck!  The other day, as he chipped at the last of the chunks of ice, he turned to me and said, "There. Your happy place is cleared."  He knows me. He knows how much basking in the sun on our south-facing deck fills me with contentment, like it did today while I bundled up in a jacket because the air is still cool, but later stripped it off as the sun warmed me up, and wrote, longhand, in a notebook. Oh the sun felt delicious and warmed my heart.

2. I'm jogging again. As the winter slogs on, the temperatures fall, and the roads are in a perpetual state of snow and ice, I move my workouts indoors to the elliptical or even the pool. But nothing takes the place of being outdoors. As soon as the morning temps hit at least 20 degrees, I want out. I have been able to jog the last two weeks (ouch, did I ever feel that time off- whew!) and I'm loving it.

3. The birds are back! You've heard of the crazy cat lady (I think I know a couple of them on Facebook, actually). Well I'm the crazy bird lady. I love to keep my feeders filled with thistle and seed and the hummingbird feeders filled with sugar water. Soon my goldfinches will be back filling the trees with flashes of yellow and the western tanager back with its parrot like colors. But the true sign that the season has changed will be when the hummingbirds return and fill the air with the trill of their hyperactive wings.

4. The garden beds are still covered in crunchy white stuff, but here and there the muddy earth is poking through. I can hear the water sucking into the dirt, and I can smell the damp, loamy smell of soil. It's almost time to dig out my gardening gloves.




It will be a while before I can officially declare it spring in the mountains, no matter what the calendar declares. But just this morning, I walked out to my garage and had a conversation with my kayak hanging from its hooks on the ceiling. "It won't be long now," I reassured. "It's almost time. You just wait."


32 comments:

  1. In those temperatures, you're jogging just to keep warm!
    Hope spring comes soon for you. I think everyone is sick of winter now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pfffff Alex, after our sub-zero or near zero winter temps, 20 feels balmy. ;)

      Delete
  2. Living in FL, it pretty much stays warm. I planted my garden on Mar. 15 and then the temps dropped last night below freezing. I have yet to go out and assess what made it and what didn't. Even though I covered things as best I could...

    Despite that... yes, spring is coming (to everyone else). It won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't figured out successful gardening at 8000 feet. People do it, but sure takes a lot of pampering.

      Delete
  3. I agree, there are signs, even though I woke up to snow on the ground this morning too!

    Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More snow is rolling in. I can see it coming down the canyon in the mountains. The trick this morning is, will I get the gumption to go for my jog before it rolls in?

      Delete
  4. You know, lately my thoughts have wandered back to early man, who looked to the heavens and stars wondering when the long winter would end. Who would also look for signs such as the birds' return and the south-facing deck being shoveled and scraped.

    Spring is here. Cold, cool, or warm, God renews again. Great post, Julie. :)

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, at 8000 feet, we have no spring. We just go from a long, cold winter, to a slight thaw then launch into summer. Makes gardening a real pain! I'll take any sign we can get.

      Delete
  5. My lungs hurt too bad running in cold air. Or maybe that's just because I'm out of shape?

    My tiny daffodils are blooming even though it was below freezing last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be what you're acclimated to. Below 10 is my cutoff but I know a lot of runners who just wrap up in scarves or face covers and carry on!

      Ah daffodils are a sure sign!

      Delete
  6. It has been unusually warm in my neck of the woods this winter. That just means we'll get blasted with a blizzard anytime now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now, as I write this, looking out at an inch of snow on my deck. Bah.

      Delete
  7. This is one year I'm ready for spring. What a winter. I bought and filled a new finch feeder today, and surveyed my raised garden boxes to see how much work I have to do. At least I know if we have any more snow down here it will melt in a day. Last year I planted lettuce, spinach, and peas at the end of March and they all survived three spring snows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting for payday to feed my poor birds, who are returning and yet in shock over the new bit of snow that has fallen. Poor birds. They've been tricked.

      I haven't figured out successful gardening at 8000 feet. I need the quick growing things. But I will try!

      Delete
  8. Your 'happy place' - I love that! :D

    We've already had some 80s here. Right now it's in the 60s. I'm still enjoying the cool temps. I'm not ready for summer (90's to 100's in this neck of the woods).

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet. That is true love! I hear the birds in the morning...poor guys, probably thinking they came back a month too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just what I was thinking about my poor feathered friends this morning as well. Newly fallen snow is not a very nice welcome back.

      Delete
  10. And here I am, excited for winter to start. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a particularly cold winter here. I'm looking forward to walking the greenways and the neighborhood. I miss riding my hot pink mountain bike and kayaking. Come on warm weather! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You all have had an unusually cold winter. Oooo I love to bike and kayak. Let's play together!

      Delete
  12. Sometimes I miss the changing of seasons. I lived the first half of my life in a place with a long snowy winter. Now I live in Vancouver, BC, where if snow even falls once during the winter, it doesn't stay for more than 3 days. The daffodils below my window have almost finished blooming. Soon it would be the tulips turn. So I look at the pictures of snow with nostalgia. But only sometimes. Most of the time, I like the warmer climate. And we have lots of rain instead of snow. Umbrellas are a must at any season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the change of seasons in November, December and even January. I like to xcountry ski, so snow is a white invitation to do so. The ski resorts open which keeps our economy healthy, and of course, the holidays are lovely with a fresh layer of snow. But by the time March, April and yes, May rolls around, I'm over it! lol

      Delete
  13. Hooray for spring. I hope yours comes soon. And I'm with you on the birds. We keep a feeder on the back deck so we can watch them while we eat. Now, if only we could keep the squirrels away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the little ground squirrels who run around stuffing their cheeks with all the seeds that have fallen. They're rather comical.

      Delete
  14. Normally I wouldn't correct you in public but you are wrong, Spring is not coming. It arrived on the 21st, just like it always does. Hopefully, the temperature will get in line with the calendar.

    Love the warm temperatures and cant wait for them to settle in. It snowed at my house on Tue and Wed. I agree with you, I am just about tired of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm excited to read that you've reassured your kayak you'll keep it busy in no time. We're getting there in CA too. But I'm not jogging again, except on the treadmill. Enjoy your beautiful stomping grounds, Julie.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Julie,

    Spring and the Northern hemisphere. The rebirth that is spring. Quite weirdly, we got our first tiny trace of snow just as spring commenced. Quite different over here in England.

    Always good to chat to a kayak. I can, canoe?

    Have a peaceful weekend, Julie.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are slow to get spring. Longer winter at our altitude than usual.

      Delete
  17. Whew, you've been busy over here. I didn't realize I missed so many posts.

    Spring has hit the Carolinas. The trees are budding and blooming. They're probably happy now after the unusually cold and snowy winter we've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually feel like a slacker with this blog, lately. Been concentrating more on my other one.

      Delete

Thanks for being a part of the conversation. I love reading your thoughts and feedback.