Thursday, June 12, 2014

Meet Anna Soliveres, Author of "Violet Storm"

This is Anna Soliveres. Yes, she really is this beautiful.

I don't want to brag or anything, but I've been friends with Anna for almost three years. Not only is she a talented writer, but she's an amazingly sweet, smart, caring, creative, and fun person to know. I pride myself on excellent discernment when it comes to fine human beings.


Anna is ambitious and determined too. She wrote and self-published this:

VIOLET STORM follows the story of a gifted athlete, struck down by lightning on the eve of her biggest championship victory. What comes next is the unraveling of a post-apolocalyptic world already on the verge of bedlam as they fight against a deadly disease known as vaincre. The only cure against vaincre is a procedure known as Modification--turning humans into artificial beings called Modi's. But the brilliant surgeon who developed this technology has gone rogue with his procedures and the Monarchy is desperate to shut him down. That's where Aeva comes in. Aeva is the surgeon's secret weapon against the Monarchy. After reconstructing her body to become a Modi unlike any he's ever created, Aeva is forced into a fight against all odds. She'll have to break loyalties, hurt family, and turn her back on newly awakened love. Thousands of lives hang in the balance in a battle that will set forth a new era. Join Aeva on her quest to see whether she's got what it takes to go up against the most powerful humans ever created.


Join Aeva on her quest to see whether she's got what it takes to go up against the most powerful humans ever created


Sounds awesome right? You should buy it at Amazon because it's only $4.99 and a must-read for summer for the "in crowd".

Anna will be famous someday, probably doing interviews on Oprah, but I swooped in to be the first at an exclusive interview with her. Oprah-Shmoprah. You can read this interview and see for yourself how fantastic she is and then feel smug that you "knew her when" too.

Anna's Tell-All (OK really, Tell-Some) Interview


What is your ideal writing setting—music, silence, coffee shop, pajamas….?

My ideal writing space is at home on my favorite desk, listening to music, with my legs propped up. At home, I have an endless supply of coffee, and a bed nearby for when I’m ready to collapse after a good, long writing session. 

Oh my gosh, look how neat she is! She has CLEAN desk space.


Your current book and also your future planned YA series focus on wonderfully rich fantasy worlds. Where have you found inspiration?

I have found inspiration everywhere, from books to movies, and anime. My mind watches and reads and my imagination just runs wild with how these worlds might look like if I had the chance to create them. Now that I’ve grown as a writer, I’ve begun to understand more of the elements needed to fuse together a story full of intrigue set in a vibrant world.

Your current book, “Violet Storm” features a strong woman lead. Over the years, having known you, I find you to be one of those strong, beautiful women.  How do you hope readers view Aeva?

Aww, thank you Julie! (Smiles widely.) Aeva is a reflection of me in my teens. Back then I was a jock, playing tennis and softball, winning MVP awards, and becoming team captain. I was a victim of bullying most of my early elementary years all the way through middle school, and finally in early high school. But it stopped once I became a focused athlete. I had a confidence that stemmed from physical strength and a feeling that I had something unique, and finally, I was stronger than the bullies. But what I deeply lacked, I wanted to give to Aeva: an unparalleled command of her sport. Unlike me, Aeva doesn’t choke when it counts, she exceeds on a level I could only have imagined as an athlete. I want readers to see themselves in Aeva, to root for her above and beyond sports, that although she’s one heck of an athlete, she’s paid a terrible price for it.
This is Anna smiling widely. She just lights up, doesn't she?
She doesn't know I lifted this picture from Facebook. Shhh... don't tell her. 


I’ve known you for several years (three?) and know you have been on quite the personal journey. Without getting too revealing or intrusive, how much did the emotions you experienced and your own happy ending influence your story and characters?

Yes! And I can’t thank you enough for your continued faith, for your friendship, and encouragement all these years. Truly! I’d have to say that I’m thankful for the hardship these last few years. I finally began to ask myself who I was. And as I transitioned into my new life, I have found a wealth of human understanding. From anger, to resentment, to joy, and unconditional love. To lean on faith and to communicate beyond words to a God I’d only ever seen as an imaginary being, and to finally believe in him and in me. I feel like the characters I’m creating have so much more depth because I have a better understanding of their motives, their passions, and their psyche. I now have a wider range of characters and the philosophy I’ve learned from my experiences gives them an intellect I hadn’t known prior to the challenges in my life. 

What is the part of writing that you most enjoy? What aspect is your Achilles heel?

I enjoy the creativity in it. I enjoy seeing a “film”—a scene playing out in my head where there was once nothing. Finishing each chapter makes me whoop with excitement! A feeling of I can’t believe I just came up with that! It’s so much harder now that I have to ask so many more questions of my characters and of the story: where it needs to go, where my characters need to be. Ahhh, the challenge is on a whole new level. My Achilles heel is when life gets tough: jobs, relationships, and health. Worries end up eating too much of my creativity and the problem solver in me, won’t let me rest until it’s fixed. I am at my writing best when the world around me is mostly free from complications. A happy life makes of me a happy, productive writer.

And just because it’s fun to get to know you a little more, what is your guilty pleasure (or at least one you’re willing to share)?

My guilty pleasure includes: chocolates, Disneyland, international traveling, bottles of wine, and did I mention chocolate?
I lifted this sans permission, too. But proof positive she loves chocolate. Just look at that face!


What is something on your bucket list?

My bucket list is long. But my biggest wish is to start my own family. Mr. Right finally found me, and I intend to have my happily ever after, complete with little Anna’s and mischievous monsters…Soon! Perhaps in two years. J There’s no greater pleasure I can imagine, than being a mother. I already feel like one to my fictional characters, but I can’t exactly hug and squeeze them, or blow raspberries on their tummies…

Mr. Right (Yup, downloaded from Facebook...why start asking permission now?)

Thanks, Anna, for letting folks get to know you and allowing me to take liberties with your Facebook photos!

Now, go buy her book. 


About the author: Anna Soliveres has always been a storyteller but it wasn't until her early twenties when she began writing novel length works. The result was an enthusiasm to get better at the craft until her work could be shared with the world. Releasing in March 2014, Violet Storm is her debut novel. Anna is currently working on another young adult science fiction series, titled Snow Dolls, set to release in late 2014.

To learn more, please visit her at www.annasoliveres.com.
Connect with Anna on Facebook!
Connect with Anna on Twitter!






20 comments:

  1. Through you, I've come to know Anna and am delighted for her and Violet Storm. I know they'll both be huge successes! You do have a sixth sense for picking out some good friends and writers. Ahem.

    Scenes "play" in my head as well, Anna, and I just write what I see. Little vignettes that I eventually string together. Is that a common trait among us writers?

    And how you can keep a WHITE work space so neat...goodness! Mine's "espresso" and it's still all I can do to hide the dirt.

    May the publication gods smile upon you!

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually DID think of you when I thought about my excellent discernment skills. So there! I know, I'm a fairly neat person and my desk doesn't look like that. Just ignore the coffee rings....

      Delete
    2. LOL you two! Sounds like scenes playing in our head might well be common. That's how stories start after all, and we keep solving one mystery after another from there one. And I love you "espresso" desk! Thinking of getting one for Mr. Right that looks similar to your setup ;)

      Delete
  2. 'A happy life makes of me a happy, productive writer.' That's true. It's what we all need.
    Sounds like you've got yourself a good friend, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, that phrase gave me pause for thought. Sometimes I'm prolific when I'm sad too-- but maybe it's not the best of quality and drips with melancholy!

      Delete
    2. Richard, thanks for checking out the interview. I think I'm pretty lucky to have found a friend like Julie. :)

      I used to think that turmoil, chaos, and desperation might give me the fuel for my writing, but it turned out I couldn't find the strength or interest to write in those times. I'm so grateful that things are different now. :)

      Delete
  3. Just love reading about the journey other writers make on their way to reaching their goals. Makes all of this seem more "real", and definitely more rewarding. :) Congrats, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you E.J.! :) I too, love reading about the journey of other writers. Writing can be such an isolating journey, but reading interviews like these makes me remember that we're not in this alone.

      Delete
  4. The problem being a writer, I CAN'T read anything without editing. The blurb is too complicated. And the 'follows a story of' HAS TO COME out of the lead in!

    I know Anna would hate me...everyone I crit does...but ask her if I can work with her on her blurb. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi R. Mac, I don't hate many people in this world. LOL. And that above blurb isn't what I've used on Amazon--and I've always thought the original needed work. "It's missing SOMETHING," I'd cry. I'd LOVE to work with you on it and on future ones, if you've got the time. :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely cover.

    Life can also be my Achilles heel when I'm writing, since I struggle to focus when I have to deal with too many negative emotions at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to meet you, Anna. Your book sounds amazing! Have a fun time reaching your happy ever after - dreams do come true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the desk! Wish mine was that nice. And drawers! What I wouldn't give for a desk with drawers or cubby holes. Sigh. A writer's dream.

    Kids are the best and hardest thing you'll do. Hope you and Mr Right get the family you want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jules,

    Of all the people in the world to highlight, I am so happy that you chose Anna. In life there are few people of a higher character than Anna and in writing her future is as bright as the sun.

    I remember a bunch of writers hanging out on the Writer's Digest weekly prompts trying to figure out the skill of writing. Yourself, Swifty, Erica, and Big Joe were all writing superstars teaching me so much just by reading your work. But Anna was on a different level. Back then even a writer of my 3rd grade caliber could recognize real greatness in Anna's work.

    I am so happy for her and I wish her all of the best. Not because she deserves it but because she has earned it.

    rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, was Anna part of that WD prompt group? I had no idea! Or I completely forgot. That's funny. I'll have to ask her now.

      Delete
    2. Julie,

      I think she was but I am a fiction writer so it is entirely possible that I made it up. She is one of the writers that Big Joe follows. Even if I have her confused with someone else, she is a great writer and I wish her all the best.

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness, Rob I just saw this today! Bless your heart. Thank you for the kind words. :) LOL I remember Big Joe. I hope he's doing well (off to go in search of him and give him a poke).

      Delete
  9. That cover is fantastic! The violet color is vibrant and eye-catching, particularly in that woman's eye. Great job, Anna! I wish you mountains of success.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I showcased that book on my blog a while ago. Glad to see more love for Anna's book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to Anna! She and her book are picture perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being a part of the conversation. I love reading your thoughts and feedback.